Monday, October 20, 2008

Maybe my stash isn't SO big.

Sunday I planned to knit all day. I got distracted by a new project, but realigned myself. I decided to take pictures of my stash and update Ravelry. That was when I found it. A moth hole! Two to be precise. In a cake of Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud. A more thorough investigation revealed more larva (though not a disgusting looking as the name sounds). So I proceeded to pick them off, and throw all my wool into a garbage bag. I did photograph it, but then I caked them all, and into freezer bags and the freezer they went. I now have a stinky moth ball in my stash box, where my non-wool resides, and all but a few skeins are in the deep freeze for the week. All stash will remain in the bags, which will be properly sealed, so moths and the moth ball smell, shouldn't be too much of a problem. In the end I only lost half a ball of the Alpaca Cloud and about 10 yards of another lace weight. There were a few more breaks, but it was never decided if they were moth, or mechanically caused.

I did discover and interesting tidbit. I had a ball of deep teal yarn, with a little buggy on it. When I squished it, it was green inside! Apparently it can't digest the dyes.

Also in this, I brought out my umbrella swift. It was a wonderful birthday present from my mom. I tightened it to cake some lace weight, (lace weight alone makes a swift worth the money) and the umbrella fell down. I attempted to retighten it, and I wouldn't! The threads on the bolt had broken off. I have since e-mail Knit Picks. I am confident they will replace it, but I don't have the invoice, so I am not sure what I should send in its stead.

No comments: