Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Self-fulfilling prophecy

The weekend is over. I did not do everything I had hoped. I am o.k. with it. Saturday was spent going to Placerville with the husband. I knitted much of the time, and was able to complete the 8th clue of my Secret of the Stole by Sunday.
Sunday was spent doing taxes and laundry. I was able to make a stop at a LYS and picked up a few things.
A much-coveted skein of Trekking in colorway 100. I felt a little guilty buying it. No, not because I wanted to keep to a relative yarn diet, I have wanted this yarn for far too long for that. But I had found the small stash of Trekking, and was pulling out a skein of an attractive rose, when I saw it. Tucked upright behind the other 8 or so skeins. I knew, having done it myself, that this was a sure sign of squirreling. A person had hid the skein from others, for a reason known only to themselves, hoping to return at a later time and purchase it. I imagined it was someone who worked in the store, and there is a policy about how much yarn can be bought before the general public is allowed to have at it. This person had already bought their allotment and was hoping to keep it in store for a few days, and then add it to their stash. (Do I need to mention I have an active imagination?)
I was in a moral conundrum. If it had been me, I would have hoped that a nice person would leave it. However, this is consumerism, and in an economic slump, surely I would be remiss in not buying it. Of course, I didn't think that much at the time, but I was a bit
torn. My loving mother was there, and she straightened me out with a quick, "What? Of course you're going to buy it."

I also bought a skein of Noro Kureyon, (my first) for a Fake Isle Hat
As for knitting, I was able to finish my Mystic Light pulse warmers/ swatch over the past few days. I cast on Sunday, finished the fist on Tuesday, cast on the second and finished that Tuesday night. Maybe I'm not as slow a knitter as I previously believed. Here is the swatch being blocked: And grafted into the wrist warmer:

I don't know if I like it. The yarn is Kraemer Sterling Silk and Silver on US 6. I'm not sure this yarn blocks very well, and if it won't make my shawl look like a teenager's thrift store cover-up from the 80's. (The husband always gives his honest opinion when asked.) If anyone has used this yarn, or has an opinion on the swatch, let me know. I don't have enough of anything else in my stash, so I would have to get something else quickly, if it is deemed necessary.

No comments: