Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A day of knitting. Well, more like a day of starting.

Yesterday I had every intention on finally finishing the now-useless Dark Mark scarf for the husband. (Useless for this year at least, as spring has hit us, and my allergies, with a vengeance.)I knit about four rows, and became sidetracked and instead I cast-on two new projects.

One will be a very long term project. A sock yarn blanket, as made by Shelly Kang. I had seen it before on Ravelry and had read her blog. While I have very little in the way of sock yarn left overs, I do have my share of sock yarn and PLAN on having left-overs. So here it is the start of a very long journey:


The second was an Easter egg from Little Cotton Rabbits. I was afraid it would be too small, and if I stuffed it with fiberfil, it would be lumpy, as many I have seen are. So instead, I stitched the egg around an empty plastic egg. (Having recently been relieved of it's sugary innards) This would make a great cat or small dog toy, if a bell was added to the egg before being sewn in. Or catnip could be added, as many of the new eggs are being made with holes on each end for hanging. Also, if pantyhose were still packaged in eggs, it could be adapted to those, and made into a lovely rattle. I myself had such a rattle, only it was crocheted to look like Humpty Dumpty. Yes it's the same yarn as the blanket squares. The repeats are very short, so only a limited number of unique squares can be made, and I have a decent ball left of the stuff. It is Plymouth Sockotta Fair Isle Effects. I made my first socks out of this as I was just starting to knit and I had just discovered better yarn than at Micheals and was shocked by the prices. This was the cheapest stuff I could find, and is also probably the cheapest yarn I have worked with. It was fine when I knitted it up, but after being washed, the black ran and made the whole sock look dinghy. The yarn had bloomed a bit, which I thought would make them softer, but instead made them itchy. I have worn the socks once, and probably will never again.

Oh, and finally, a picture of the phone cozy mentioned yesterday:


The black thing in the middle is supposed to be the husband's symbol. He has been using it since high school. I didn't do it very will here, but I think it's ok, considering I only had 9 stitches across to work with and I have never really done color work before. (I take that back, I have had two other attempts, one a scarf that was frogged due to uneven tension, and a dishcloth that is passible, but had yarn-overs and I had NO idea how to deal with those.)

No comments: