Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My inspired Anthropologie-Inspired Capelet

A few weeks ago I was cleaning out the craft room and found a bag of acrylic I had purchased for gifts about a year ago. I had the intention of knitting scarves for Christmas gifts, but I was too busy and I was not interested as much in knitting at the time. (I know, the HORROR!) Well, it didn't take too long for me to be hit hard by the knitting bug, and to find I preferred nicer colors, and thinner yarn. I knew I had this yarn somewhere, but never could find it.

Now that I have, my stash has gotten bigger, and I would like to rid myself of the bulky stash filler. I had queued the Anthropologie-inspired capelet awhile ago, and I had a quiet enough bulky weight, so casting on I went. The knit went pretty fast, but I could see that I would ha
ve a lot left. Now lately I've been finishing off skeins with about 11 yards left. (This is called fore-shadowing) Too much for me to throw away, but not enough to find a project. I had incentive to try to use up as much as I could. So I decided to add a lace edge.

A few months ago I had seen a lace cover-up that I loved. I charted the pattern as best I could (and I'm sure weirded out the kid wearing it). Of course, I left the pattern at work so, I used A Gathering of Lace to look for an arrow-head like pattern. I had 89 stitches on the body, and
while there was a 12 stitch repeat pattern I really liked, I found a nice 8 stitch. With 11 repeats this would make 88 stitches. I decreased on in the middle of the back, and I began to plot.

The sleeves only had 38 stitches, so I would need to increase somehow. I decided a simple row of
eyelets would not only make the increases on the sleeves invisible, but would allow me to add a decorative ribbon. This turned out the be the hardest part. An eyelet every 8 stitches would make an even pattern. The FIRST time I knit on the body, I had the incite to make the first eyelet only 4 stitches in so they would be even in the front. Unfortunately I actually made them every 9 stitches, so I was completely wrong. The SECOND time, I found out I had an odd number of eyelets and it would make the ribbon come out on the inside of the capelet on one side. For the THIRD time, I made them every 4 stitches (thus doubling the number of eyelets and ensuring the ribbon came out right), but found out at the end that I had forgotten to make the first eyelet at half the repeat. This made the first one three stitches in from the "buttonband", but the last one right on it. I couldn't let that go, so I knit it a FOURTH time. The lace went easier. The only other real "fub" I had to fix was that I originally cast-off with a picot on every stitch. It reminded me of a cheap fringed jacket from the 70's. I decided to make one at every point in the lace.

I messed up a bit on the sleeves. I made one eyelet a stitch off, but it ended up matching up with the lace. Unfortunately I didn't notice until after I didn't get the same result on the other sleeve.


I then killed it so it would drape. I am currently adding some embellishments to the picot points.
While this is a potentially reversible knit, the lace and the soon to be added extras will make it a preferred stockinette side. I haven't been able to look for ribbon, but I hope to fix that soon.
PS: This is what I had left:
Yep. 11 yards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the lace design you added to you capelet - it really adds to the design and gives it a finished look.

I was wondering if you might post your lace pattern - I was thinking of making it for my daughter and nieces for presents. (We all have a few skeins of left over acrylic bulky yarn calling out from the stash)

Also, you noted that you "killed it so it would drape". I am not up on the latest verbiage, so what is "killing" a sweater?

Again, the sweater is beautiful.

Unknown said...

I also love the lace edge on your capelet. I've never done lace but I'd like to try with this project. I'm making it for a wedding next weekend. I'm not sure if you've posted the pattern yet but I'll repeat the earlier request to please do so.