Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Allow me to boast a tad

I have heard, on occasion, of some lucky person finding a treasure at a thrift store or garage sale. In fact, the nearly weekly trips my father made in the non-rainy seasons were called "Treasure Hunts." I myself have found one such thing; a set of four coffee mugs in my mother's Mikasa pattern (I still look at the mugs every time I go in.) However, this was years ago, and nothing spectacular has happened since. In literary terms, this is called foreshadowing.

Yesterday I went to a local thrift store for some sweater harvesting. I found a lovely cream (read dyeable)
cabled wool men's sweater (Pretty much a trifecta), but low and behold upon further inspection, it was sergered and cut. I did find a merino wool ladies sweater, but I fear it may be too fine a gauge to be successful.

However, I did go and check the bin with the lumped together yarns. Mostly it is all acrylics or crochet cotton. One bag caught me eye. It contained two large skeins?/balls? of crochet cotton. One was unopened and 1000 yards, other had to be at least 500. More than enough to make one of the doilies I've been eyeing. There were a few other things that were interesting, a skein of Christmas acrylic, a smaller ball of size 30 cotton, and a few balls of some fuzzy stuff. 2.29 and Wednesdays are 20% off.

I had to rip it open as soon as I got in the car. The loot:


The fuzzy stuff was incredible! So soft and I had about 2.5 balls in white and 2 mildly matted balls in camel. There was no ball band, but inside was an odd hexagon cardboard with tabs to give the ball something to wind on. All it said was Belangor Made in Belguim.

And on to Ravelry I flew. The Christmas acrylic was not on Ravelry, which I quickly corrected, but the sinful fuzziness was a bit harder. I assumed "Belangor" was the city, as the husband said as much. No tags. So to yahoo I went.

With just Belangor yarn I found my answer.
Joseph Galler Belangor French Angora. Angora. 100% French angora! Almost $50 of angora yarn! I can't believe it. I just have to find something to do with it. I only have 145 yards of it, but I am most grateful for it.


No comments: